How to Program a BMW Key Fob
Many Portland drivers come to our service center wondering how to program a BMW key fob. Fortunately this task can be completed right at home in no time. There are two basic methods for BMW key fob battery replacement. The first method is used when you already have a working key but want to program additional keys. The second method is needed if you do not have a working key on hand.
How to Program an Additional BMW Key Fob
Here is how to program an additional BMW key fob when you have another fob available to you.
- Step inside the cabin of the vehicle with the working key fob and any other BMW key fobs you want to program. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
- Put the working key into the ignition and turn it to position one (do not start the engine). When this happens, the dashboard lights and accessories should pop on.
- Turn the key back and remove it from the ignition.
- Take the working key and hold down the unlock button. Press the lock button (the BMW logo) three times before releasing the unlock button. The doors will lock and unlock automatically.
- Take the key you wish to program and hold down the unlock button while pressing the BMW logo three times. Release the unlock button once again, and the doors should lock and unlock. This indicates that you are done with the process.
How to Program a New BMW Key Fob from Scratch
If you do not already have a working key fob, here is how to program a BMW key.
- Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to position one and back rapidly five times.
- Take the key out of the ignition.
- Hold the unlock button and press the BMW logo three times before releasing it.
- If you have more than one key that you want to program, repeat step three within 30 seconds from the original key programming.
- Finish the process by turning on the ignition. Turn on the ignition to complete the process.
Trust the Automotive Experts at Kuni BMW
If you run into an issue while programming your BMW key fob, the team at Kuni BMW would be more than happy to assist you. We can also help with BMW key fob replacement if you are in need of a new fob. Contact us today for more information or set up an appointment with us.
We are currently updating our Specials. Please check back soon.